IBU Calculations

Posting a link to my IBU calculator.  Beersmith and hand calcs – they don’t jive.

IBU Calculator

 

Edit: A thought… I also have not accounted for bitterness derived from malts. Either way – IBUs per hop are still off.

Bottling day: Mango habanero

Bottled this one today.   Lost a lot of beer to sediment, but rather that than have lots of junk beer.  The taste on this is interesting.   We will see how things pan outwith some carbonation.  Final gravity was .988 so a total alcohol content of around 11%

Dark Lord Day

1367198674-dark_lord_logo

Dark lord day was yesterday.  It was a series of long lines, to wait in the lines to wait in the lines to get beer.  When DL would go on tap at a beer stand (which it did in rotation around the grounds) the line would quickly form and snake the entire festival.  The only organized lines came from the bathrooms and DL sales themselves.  One of those had barricades, the other was just smelly.  Wife and I won with our golden tickets so we got 2 of the 3 variants.  I would like to try the Brandy DL some day, but probably won’t get the opportunity.  We got the Vanilla Bean variant and the Caocao nib/Orange Peel/Cardamom/ variant.  One is of 800 or so bottles, the other 350 or so.  So quite a rare pull.

wpid-img_20140427_101726_177.jpg

Brew Day: Mango Pepper Pale Ale

DSCN20323

Mango Pepper Pale Ale got brewed today.  This is a lesson learned again.  Things didn’t end in the red though.  My efficiency was higher than I had planned for,  but my volumes were way low.  I decocted 2 gallons of it for a mash out in an effort to reduce the chances of needing a long boil…  I only sparged with 2 gallons as well.  I ended up making certain that the mash tun was 100% drained and into the boil.  I initially only got 2.5 gallons of wort, managed to squeeze out another gallon or so.  Through all this, efficiency was high.  I ended with 1.073 over the 1.069 that I intended.  This landed me somewhere near 60% efficiency.  I’m wagering that if I had sparged properly and used more volume for a mash out I would have gotten much more.

Transfer to Secondary: Blood of the Irish

boi

Transferred this to secondary.  It seems like a lot of stuff has really dropped out of it in primary leaving a very clear beer. It smells like a red with just a hint of the smoke like I intended. Currently sitting pretty at about 1.009, or 6.17% ABV.

Bottling Day: Just Hefen

just hefen

I just bottled about 36 (12oz) and 2 (22oz) bottles of this.  Yield was a bit low.  Final gravity after secondary was 1.003 for a final of 6.11% ABV.

Brew Day: Chocolate Braggot

I brewed my first braggot today with Kevin.  We were going to do 2 batches, but his propane tank was buried in ice and snow.

Intended gravity was 1.080 post boil, then honey with the yeast.

I ended up with about 1.077, but had an extra .25 to .5 gallon.  This left me at just below a 60% efficiency.  Running the grains through twice really did make a big difference.  I think if I had the time and patience I could have done a longer boil and sparged to get a much higher efficiency.  But at that point it would be closer to a 2-3 hour boil with all the excess liquid.  Might be time for a bigger boil pot… or at least next time I’ll do it at home and I can do a small and large boil in 2 different pots.

Transfer to Secondary: Just Hefen

just hefen

Transferred this brew to secondary today.  Checked the gravity and the taste at this point…um… Its bananas.  It tastes awesome.  Gravity is down to 1.007, so it is at 5.63% ABV.  I can’t wait for this to get bottled.

Brew Day: Blood of the Irish

boi

Brewed my take on an Irish Red today.  I started with a traditional sort, added a little bit more 2-row to up the gravity then some Cherrywood Smoke Malt for a special tinge of flavor.  We’ll see how this one pans out.

Grain Bill:4oz Biscuit Malt
1lb 9oz Caramel 60L
1lb 1oz Carapils
10oz Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt
4oz Roasted Barley
10lbs 4oz 2-row

Hop Schedule:1oz Fuggle (60min)
1oz Fuggle (10min)

Yeast:White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Intended Gravity: 1.055
Actual Gravity: 1.056

Efficiency was calculated to be 56%, 1% over the estimated mark.  It’s depressing, but I hit the mark, so as long as the beer is good it was a success.  I think I could have done better on this if I had used the larger mash tun.  I tried to decoct to get my mash out temperatures and I assume that this had an effect.  Next time I have a grain bill above 10lbs I will definitely use the larger mash tun and just have a thinner mash.

 

Transfer to Keg: Caribou Slobber

Caribou[1]

Transferred this to keg today.  For some reason to me it smelled very sweet.  This could also be all the time I’ve spent scrubbing the kegerator out after the funk that started to grow when the temperature controller failed.  Too much bleach in my sinuses potentially.  This one came out with a 1.000 gravity and 6.64% ABV.  Should be ready to drink in a few days.